CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Slave Narrative

Reflection:
In this passage I was very interested in the way that Equiano described the situation he was in. However, I feel very sympathetic towards his situation. Equiano, a slave, was taken away from his family in England, and this must've been hard for him, especially since he was discriminated against. The white settlers did not care for his, or any of the other slave's, feelings throughout the travel across the Atlantic. He was subjected to harsh living conditions along the travel, and I can't believe he survived. It makes me sad to even think about what it was like living on that ship, or even the smell of it.

Diary Entry:
Dear Diary, oh woe is me. I have been traveling on this boat for too long. So many lie dead, and many ill. I hope that the same fate does not fall upon me. I am nervous. I hear tales of a "New Land" that we are journeying to. Unfortunately I am going to remain a slave, but I will be serving a different master. Hopefully this master will teach me how to read and write. A slim chance of this, I know, but I still have hope.

Excerpt:
"During our passage I first saw flying fishes, which surprised me very much: they used frequently to fly across the ship, and many of them fell on the deck. I also now first saw the use of the quadrant. I had often with astonishment seen the mariners make observations with it, and I could not think what it meant. They at last took notice of my surprise; and one of them, willing to increase it, as well as to gratify my curiosity, made me one day look through it. The clouds appeared to me to be land, which disappeared as they passed along. This heightened my wonder: and I was now more persuaded than ever that I was in another world, and that every thing about me was magic. At last we came in sight of the island of Barbados, at which the whites on board gave a great shout, and made many signs of joy to us. "

MLA:
Equiano,Olaudah. Olaudah Equiano. 27 Jan. 2003. 3 Apr. 2008.
http://www.brycchancarey.com/equiano/extract3.htm.

Application of Essential Question:
Unfortunately, Equiano was not able to achieve his American Dream, unlike many before him. Although Equiano had hope, he was trampled on in order for other people to achieve their American Dream. Thus, one might say this is a "dog eat dog" society in which only one can reign supreme.

3 comments:

George Pocheptsov said...

Joey,
I would have to say that this selection of literature was my personal favorite and I felt that you captured this “American Nightmare” very accurately as all the Africans were forced to arrive on the shores of America, leaving behind their family and belongings in their motherland. I also enjoyed the amount of detail you put into your dairy entry for the crossing of the Middle Passage, however, I believe that the dairy entry could have been more effective if you extend it just a bit longer. In addition, I also think that although your visual is quite beautiful and scenic, it does not really give the audience any clues as to what you are representing. Feel free to comment back in regards to my constructive criticism.

Joe Murray said...

George,

Although my visual may not strike an immediate interest in your mind, if you take a few moments to ponder its significance, you may notice that the waves can represent a new fleet [or wave] of immigrants entering America.

George_Hausmann said...

Great social dialog guys. I would like to add that in my opinion Joey you did capture the idea of the story very consicely and that it must have indeed been very horrible for him to experience.