
Of Plymouth Plantation: Chapter IX
Reflection:
This passage was very interesting. I was surprised at how descriptive the author was, as well as the vivid imagery that was used to describe the situation. The author also did a very good job at describing other people, especially in the beginning of the passage where he describes the man with a “lusty, able body”. However, the imagery was not the only thing that impressed me. I liked how the author effectively described the journey to America as it related to God. The author mentioned God, as well as faith, in this passage fairly often.
Diary Entry:
Dear Diary, it is day 8 of our journey across the Atlantic. Earlier today I spoke with some of the crew members, and they told me stories of their families back at home. As I re-entered my cabin not too long ago, I thought about those families. What would happen to them should our ship crash? What would happen to my family? I pray to God that I will never find out, and that we should have a safe journey. It seems that every day I am praying to God for a different reason. I just hope we make it to America safely.
Excerpt:
"In sundry of these storms the winds were so fierce and the seas so high, as they could not bear a knot of sail, but were forced to hull for divers days together. And in one of them, as they thus lay at hull in a mighty storm, a lusty young man called John Howland, coming upon some occasion above the gratings, was, with a roll of the ship, thrown into sea; but it pleased God that he caught hold of the topsail halyards, which hung overboard and ran out at length. Yet he held his hold (though he was sundry fathoms under water) till he was hauled up by the same rope to the brim of the water, and then with a boat hook and other means got into the ship again and his life saved. And though he was something ill with it, yet he lived many years after and became a profitable member both in church and commonwealth. In all this voyage there died but one of the passengers, which was William But ten, a youth, servant to Samuel Fuller, when they drew near the coast."
MLA:
Bradford, William. Of Plymouth Plantation. 14 June 2004. 18 Mar. 2008
. http://spider.georgetowncollege.edu/english/coke/bradford.htm.
Application of Essential Question:
The author of this passage is definitely hopeful in his quest for the American Dream. Like many others, the author is journeying to America in search of a better life. The author is hoping that when he arrives in America he will be able to successfully start a new life and thus, achieve the American Dream.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Of Plymouth Plantation
Posted by Joe Murray at 12:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Joey,
Yet again, your visual representation for Of Plymouth Plantation by William Bradford has really captured my interest and it almost allowed me to immerse myself in the journey to America! Regarding your reflection, I would have liked to see some more depth in actually connecting with the people who were on the ship seeking religious liberation. As you may know, although the journey to America may have appeared exciting and adventurous, it was very grueling and demanding to all the men and women aboard the ship! In addition, I felt that your diary entry really captured the spirits of the people aboard the ship who were seeking economic and religious liberty! Feel free to comment me back with your thoughts regarding my constructive feedback and criticism!
Post a Comment