Edward Taylor: Huswifery
Click the thumbnail above to view my poetry chart for this poem.
Reflection:
I find it interesting that Taylor used metaphor to relate himself to a spinning wheel. Not only that, he commanded God to use him, like a spinning wheel, to lead him through life and give him the ability to live a life through the will of God. In his poem, Taylor capitalizes specific words, believed by myself to be the tools God will use to meet Taylor's wishes. Combined with specific capitalization, Taylor also uses diction to help evoke a message of Puritan beliefs to the reader.
Diary Entry:
Dear diary,
I am very fascinated with the work of Anne Bradstreet. Her poems entertain me beyond belief. In fact, I think I might start writing poems. I shall start by utilizing my Puritan beliefs and connecting them with common items. I shall relate my beliefs to items such as chairs, cars, or maybe even spinning wheels. Here is my first attempt at a poem:
O Lorde, grasp with me a Firm Handle,
upon the Chair that I sit.
for I am anxious and excited with anticipation,
and I shall wait to be Seated within the eyes of you Lorde
if you may, you shall Build upon my Structure,
and Raise Me from belowe.
Excerpt:
“Make me, O Lord, thy Spinning Wheele compleat; Thy Holy Worde my Distaff make for mee. Make mine Affections thy Swift Flyers neate, And make my Soule thy holy Spoole to bee. My Conversation make to be thy Reele, And reele the yarn thereon spun of thy Wheele.”
MLA:
Taylor, Edward. “Huswifery” 10 May 1989. 20 Mar. 2008.
Anne Bradstreet: Verses Upon The Burning of Our House
In Anne Bradstreet's poem, Verses Upon The Burning Of Our House, she constantly speaks of remorse and how sad it is that her house is burning, yet at the end she realizes that her faith is more important than everything in the house, including the house itself, and that no matter what she will always prevail through her faith.
Diary Entry:
Dear Diary,
Today I experienced the wonderful poems written by Anne Bradstreet. I read two poems: "To My Dear And Loving Husband", and "Verses Upon The Burning Of Our House". Both of these poems were very inspiring, and they both helped me maintain my constant connection with God. When I read her poems, I feel as if I am connected with God even more than ever! I can imagine that these poems are similar to what life will be like in heaven and I cannot wait to reach that life. I feel inspired that although her house burned down, she had not lost the most important thing: her faith. I am also intrigued by the poem she wrote to her husband and how she used paradox in order to evoke a single emotion, and that emotion is love. Maybe I should become a poet some day.
Excerpt:
"Then while we live, in love let's so persevere
That when we live no more, we may live ever."
MLA:
Bradstreet, Anne. "To My Dear And Loving Husband" 18 Mar. 2008.
Application Of Essential Question:
In this situation, Anne Bradstreet's American Dream consists of living a life through God's grace and [eventually] going to heaven. She achieved this dream by writing poems that intensified her faith and encouraged others to intensify their faith as well.



2 comments:
Joey,
I find it very interesting how you analyzed “Huswifery” by Edward Taylor and related it to the American Dream and arriving in America for religious and social freedom! Similar to you, I felt that the poem served as a reminder to people that through God, they could cleanse themselves of their sins and become reborn into new men and women by the grace of God. Furthermore, I felt that although you distinguished Anne Bradstreet’s religion in the poem, I felt that you needed to shine more light upon her loving relationship with her husband as I felt that this component was one of the only links to her success and happiness in America, besides religious and social liberty. Feel free to comment me back and give me your thoughts and feelings on my constructive feedback.
George,
As I reread the poem, I realized that you made a great point. I had not realized how important her relationship with her husband was conveyed in this poem. Thank you for the insight.
Post a Comment