CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Native American Literature

Talking To The Moon: by John Joseph Mathews.

Reflection:
I chose this piece of literature because I felt like this was a story I could relate to. I also feel that this story correctly portrays the mindset of a Native American as he would strive to reconnect with his ancestral roots by living with nature. I was very surprised by this story because although Mathews tries to connect with nature, he almost seems to consider his situation a burden. For example, in the story he mentions how the wild animals in the forest are a danger to him, yet he also needs them to survive. It seems that his reasoning for choosing this lifestyle was to rid himself of the materialistic society of America at the time. He wanted to reconnect with nature, and live like a part of nature, rather than profiting from it, like the Americans living with him at that time. This is because, at the time, America was very industrialized and it seemed that Americans only used nature as a means of making money, such as harvesting trees for lumber, farming cotton for clothes, etc.

Journal Entry:
Dear diary, today I have discovered the true meaning of life. As I have been living in these woods, I have discovered that the materialistic views of the culture I descend from are unnecessary for survival. As I have been living in nature, I have noticed that the only things I truly need are food and shelter. Not only have I discovered the necessities for life, I have also manufactured a relationship with nature that is beyond the scope of most humans. I have discovered what it truly means to be "one with nature".


Application of Essential Question:
Although the Native Americans do not wish to acheive the American Dream, they are disregarded when the English settlers strive to acheive it. As the settlers make an attempt to start a new life in a new nation, their underlying greed takes over as they try to seize land from the Native Americans. As they conquer the Native Americans, the settlers set aside reservations for the Native Americans. By conducting this process, the Native Americans are stripped of their land while the settlers are acquiring land. All due to the strive for the American Dream.

6 comments:

George_Hausmann said...

I thought how you related information from history class to enhance the manner in which you interpreted the technology and other influences that would cause him to want to distance himself from the "white mans way" and immerse himself with nature. However I would have liked for you maybe to explain your reaction on the authors opinion that the situation being a burden to him because you had a slightly different outlook then I did. I took it as the author realized that even though the beasts were a burden to him he was able to use the same reasources of nature to survive against them, while you seemed to think that while they were a burden to him, he needed the actual animals, which seems to say that he is keeping a materialistic approach to the situation.

George_Hausmann said...

I thought how you related information from history class to enhance the manner in which you interpreted the technology and other influences that would cause him to want to distance himself from the "white mans way" and immerse himself with nature was very eloquent. However I would have liked for you maybe to explain your reaction on the authors opinion that the situation being a burden to him because you had a slightly different outlook then I did. I took it as the author realized that even though the beasts were a burden to him he was able to use the same reasources of nature to survive against them, while you seemed to think that while they were a burden to him, he needed the actual animals, which seems to say that he is keeping a materialistic approach to the situation.

Ms. Micallef said...

Joe
1. Where is your essential question?
2. Where is the excerpt from the text you have chosen Talking to the Moon?
3. Is George your only teammate?
4. Where is the diary entry?

Grade - 69
Ms. Mic

George Pocheptsov said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
George Pocheptsov said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
George Pocheptsov said...

Joey,

Although I believe you are correct in your assumption that the white man has taken away the culture of the Native American people, I would have liked to see more of this atrocity in your self-reflection and application of the essential question. Furthermore, I really love the image you chose to represent the Native American Literature as it truly amplifies the diverse culture of the Native Americans and how they strive to connect with nature and the surrounding world. Feel free to comment me back and give me your thoughts on my feedback and suggestions.