
Patrick Henry:
Reflection:
In this speech Patrick Henry effectively utilizes persuasion. When Henry notes that disregarding an inevitable war to treason, he is using ethos, and he is appealing to ethics as the audience believes that treason is morally wrong. Also, when Henry says "give me liberty, or give me death!" he is appealing to the audience's emotions, or utilizing pathos. Logos is present in his speech as well when he notes that the war has already begun, and it would be ignorant to remain idle while they are killed. After reading this speech, I definitely feel empowered and I feel as if Henry was very effective at using persuasion. I can understand how someone would want to join the fight after listening to this speech. Also, Henry speaks similar to the way that Paine writes because he mentions that we must not "stand by" and wait to die, he states that we must fight.
Dear Diary,
"...give me liberty, or give me death!": the words of Patrick Henry. Today I witnessed one of the most empowering speeches I've ever heard. In his speech, Patrick Henry discussed the issue of freedom from the British ministry, and how we must obtain this freedom. According to Mr. Henry, the war has begun and we must fight. It is unsettling to think of this, but he must be right. It only seems logical that the British are already on their way here, ready to fight, and so we must retaliate. There is no other option. If I am not to fight, I will commit treason as I will let my country down. I must fight for freedom.
Excerpt:
"There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free--if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending--if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained--we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight!"
MLA:
Henry, Patrick. "Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death." Sep. 1999. 7 Apr. 2008.
Thomas Paine:
Reflection:
In this selection, Thomas Paine analyzes America's current state of liberty and how we must utilize God in order to keep it. Paine repeatedly states in many different ways that God will help us. He makes it seem as though Britain is the devil, and we are holy, and thus we have the strength of God on our hands. Although this seems similar to propaganda, I believe that this type of writing was very necessary at that time in history. I believe that if Thomas Paine, along with others, had not gone to such lengths in order to get this point across, we would not be living in the same situation that we are in now. In this article Paine is very similar to Henry in the way that they both mention that God will help the Americans in order to persevere over the British.
Diary:
Today I picked up my copy of The Crisis, and I was very interested in the message the author was trying to convey. Thomas Paine, the author, states that God is on our side, and we must use this power to our benefit. He compares Britain to "a common murderer, a highwayman, or a house-breaker," and believes that they are a threat to us. According to him, we should not remain idle while God is willing to protect us. I feel the same way and I believe that if we wait too long, Britain will overpower us. As Patrick Henry said, "we must fight!".
Excerpt:
"Neither have I so much of the infidel in me, as to suppose that He has relinquished the government of the world, and given us up to the care of devils; and as I do not, I cannot see on what grounds the king of Britain can look up to heaven for help against us: a common murderer, a highwayman, or a house-breaker, has as good a pretence as he."
MLA:
Paine, Thomas. "The Crisis, No. 1." 23 Dec. 1776. 7 Apr. 2008. http://www.puc.edu/Faculty/Rosemary_Dibben/English11/NewNation/PaineCrisis1.pdf.
Essential Question Application:
In this situation, both Patrick Henry and Thomas Paine have hope for America. However, they both believe that the American people need to strive against Britain's physical opposition in order to achieve this freedom, and thus, the American Dream can then be accomplished.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Revolutionary Period
Posted by Joe Murray at 12:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I believe that you had a very good analysis of the speeches I liked how you described the "echoes" it was a good way of describing how he spoke. I also felt like the speeches were emotionally charged and i liked how you tied in religion.
Wow! I really think you captured what both Patrick Henry and Thomas Paine were trying to convey when they created their various forms of propaganda. Through reading your analysis and connection to the Revolutionary period, I noticed the similarities and differences between written propaganda and oral propaganda. As it may seem, oral propaganda employs a wider variety of ethos, pathos, and logos in order to appeal to the audience and establish an emotional connection. Overall, I really enjoyed your analysis, however, If I was to change one thing, it would be to add more information about Patrick Henry’s utilization of emotion in this speech. Feel free to comment back on my constructive criticism!
Post a Comment